Cover for A Fortune Teller’s Luck finally complete

I originally designed a cover that I was never quite satisfied with. While I liked the overall concept, which was based on a flower of life pattern, I was never happy with either the colours or the font. Time for a redesign, I figured, so I re-started from scratch.

I downloaded and modified Tarot card images in the public domain via Wikimedia commons. For the border, I tweaked my own version of one I’d found on Freepik.com.

Since a Tarot card reading was what launched the overall story, I used that as the focal point for the cover. The cards I chose correspond loosely with the progress of the story as well. Originally, I picked the planetary spread more for design purposes than anything else. However as I went through myriad interpretations, the eventual layout fit closely with how the story played out.

Getting the shade of blue I wanted was the biggest challenge, since computer screens rely on RBG for colors and printing of course, is in CYMK. This online conversion tool is handy giving you a preview before wasting paper and ink each time: http://www.rgb2cmyk.org/

I used Gimp, an open source design tool similar to Photoshop. On my YouTube channel, I have saved several instructional videos I found useful.  For vector graphics, I recommend another open source graphics tool called Inkscape. I’m only just learning to use it by fiddling around for now, have had fun making spirograph-type patterns with it.

For various reasons I have chosen to go the self-publishing route for this one. Oddly, according to a post I saw on Twitter, someone was commenting about a ‘mini trend’ in fake psychics, so I shall see if this novel, A Fortune Teller’s Luck, becomes part of it when I send it off into the aether later this week.

front med

Fingers crossed…

Busy everywhere but here

Spring came (and fully deserving a red carpet welcome after this past long, cold winter) and meant lots and lots of yard work on top of everything else I’m trying to get done. Sometimes I do miss living in a condo. One thing I’m not terrible good at is focusing on a single thing and finishing it …

For now I’ve finished the cover for The Fortune Teller’s Curse, got a Kindle/Amazon account and am waiting for a few things to process. Since I’m not a US resident, there was some special tax form I had to fill out. I also applied for an ISBN number, which Canadians can apply separately for here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/services/isbn-canada/Pages/isbn-canada.aspx

Paperwork and filling forms are probably my least favourite things to do. But now, they are done.

I’ve also finished a second book, for which I’m drafting a query letter to send to agents. There’s a #pitmad on Twitter in June I need to get ready for as well, especially since I’ve missed the more recent ones. I’ve no clue how to hook an agent, but it’s worth trying.

On top of all that I’ve been binge-reading a pile of best-sellers I’d long meant to get around to reading and hadn’t. So the past month or so I’ve read Books 1-4 of GRRM’s A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones for TV watchers), the first Mortal Instruments City of Bones (sorry, hated it though I’d wanted to like it), The Time Traveller’s Wife, the first Harry Potter and also decided to re-read as many Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett that I can get my hands on. So far I’ve gone through Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic and am halfway through Equal Rites. I’ve also got Deborah Harkness’s Discovery of Witches on hold at the library, which I’m looking forward to reading.

 

Hoping to get back into writing after a longish break

I have several manuscripts that seem to be forever almost finished. Since the beginning of the year, I’ve been concentrating on one called The Fortune Teller, which I plan to self-publish, and have spent a good chunk of time designing a cover for it.

I used GIMP, which I wasn’t completely familiar with, though it is similar to Photoshop. Thankfully I’ve used that one plenty of times. It’s free to download at http://www.gimp.org and while there were a couple of annoying quirks (mostly to do with floating toolbars that I couldn’t figure out how to re-anchor), it’s an excellent program overall.

There was still a learning curve and it took me a few tries to settle on one particular photo, testing several different backgrounds and so on. After several substantial revisions, I have to admit that the first one was horrible. I knew it was at the time, which was what prompted me to start again from scratch. While the adage goes, You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, sales numbers say otherwise. Mine probably won’t be perfect, but so long as it doesn’t look amateur, I should be okay. I do have an art background and some in design, and a couple of friends who are design professionals who’ve given me some great tips.

The cover is nearly done, and I just finished yet one more revision after getting some feedback from a critique site. Now I’m letting it sit while I make a final version of the cover, making sure it adheres to the various technical standards for Smashwords and Kindle. After that, one more run-through in the novel to make any last story changes (like changing one character’s age a little) and check for any inconsistencies, it should be ready for a final, line-by-line edit.

After that (oh, and uploading and trying to get the novel ‘out there’), I will finally be able to get back to what I really love doing most. Working on another story!