Cover for A Fortune Teller’s Luck finally complete

I originally designed a cover that I was never quite satisfied with. While I liked the overall concept, which was based on a flower of life pattern, I was never happy with either the colours or the font. Time for a redesign, I figured, so I re-started from scratch.

I downloaded and modified Tarot card images in the public domain via Wikimedia commons. For the border, I tweaked my own version of one I’d found on Freepik.com.

Since a Tarot card reading was what launched the overall story, I used that as the focal point for the cover. The cards I chose correspond loosely with the progress of the story as well. Originally, I picked the planetary spread more for design purposes than anything else. However as I went through myriad interpretations, the eventual layout fit closely with how the story played out.

Getting the shade of blue I wanted was the biggest challenge, since computer screens rely on RBG for colors and printing of course, is in CYMK. This online conversion tool is handy giving you a preview before wasting paper and ink each time: http://www.rgb2cmyk.org/

I used Gimp, an open source design tool similar to Photoshop. On my YouTube channel, I have saved several instructional videos I found useful.  For vector graphics, I recommend another open source graphics tool called Inkscape. I’m only just learning to use it by fiddling around for now, have had fun making spirograph-type patterns with it.

For various reasons I have chosen to go the self-publishing route for this one. Oddly, according to a post I saw on Twitter, someone was commenting about a ‘mini trend’ in fake psychics, so I shall see if this novel, A Fortune Teller’s Luck, becomes part of it when I send it off into the aether later this week.

front med

Fingers crossed…

Advertisements

Hoping to get back into writing after a longish break

I have several manuscripts that seem to be forever almost finished. Since the beginning of the year, I’ve been concentrating on one called The Fortune Teller, which I plan to self-publish, and have spent a good chunk of time designing a cover for it.

I used GIMP, which I wasn’t completely familiar with, though it is similar to Photoshop. Thankfully I’ve used that one plenty of times. It’s free to download at http://www.gimp.org and while there were a couple of annoying quirks (mostly to do with floating toolbars that I couldn’t figure out how to re-anchor), it’s an excellent program overall.

There was still a learning curve and it took me a few tries to settle on one particular photo, testing several different backgrounds and so on. After several substantial revisions, I have to admit that the first one was horrible. I knew it was at the time, which was what prompted me to start again from scratch. While the adage goes, You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, sales numbers say otherwise. Mine probably won’t be perfect, but so long as it doesn’t look amateur, I should be okay. I do have an art background and some in design, and a couple of friends who are design professionals who’ve given me some great tips.

The cover is nearly done, and I just finished yet one more revision after getting some feedback from a critique site. Now I’m letting it sit while I make a final version of the cover, making sure it adheres to the various technical standards for Smashwords and Kindle. After that, one more run-through in the novel to make any last story changes (like changing one character’s age a little) and check for any inconsistencies, it should be ready for a final, line-by-line edit.

After that (oh, and uploading and trying to get the novel ‘out there’), I will finally be able to get back to what I really love doing most. Working on another story!